Saturday, May 9, 2009

Love is Like a Magic Penny

I was remembering this song earlier because it is just so spot on for how I feel about love and, well, doesn't it make a fabulous analogy? We used to sing it at primary school and thought it was just silly but I am struck these day by how beautiful the sentiment is:

Love is something if you give it away,

Give it away, give it away.

Love is something if you give it away,

You end up having more

It's just like a magic penny,
Hold it tight and you won't have any.
Lend it, spend it, and you'll have so many

They'll roll all over the floor.


For love is something if you give it away,

Give it away, give it away.

Love is something if you give it away,

You end up having more.


Money's dandy and we like to use it,

But love is better if you don't refuse it.

It's a treasure and you'll never lose it

Unless you lock up your door.


For love is something if you give it away,

Give it away, give it away.

Love is something if you give it away,

You end up having more.


So let's go dancing till the break of day,

And if there's a piper, we can pay.

For love is something if you give it away,

You end up having more.


For love is something if you give it away,
Give it away, give it away.
Love is something if you give it away,

You end up having more.


I'd never heard the other verses before, I really like them a lot and am particularly struck by the dancing analogy.

An afterthought:

Hmmmmm, actually, why not. I say this because I am both cheekily joking and deadly serious and because it seems to me to have come up quite naturally. I am only doing a quick post tonight because I have to get up early tomorrow and run 10 km for the sake of love (link). On a swollen ankle and with a slightly infected mega blister no less. I don't say this to moan or to brag. I say it because it is an analogy for sacrifice bringing freedom and if you read what I wrote at the link above it goes into more detail that I don't have time for tonight.

Love Running (link) is the name of the project. The pain of tomorrow is no patch on the suffering of African children, addicted prostitutes and grieving families. The cost of sponsorship is no patch on the difference only a small amount of money can make to those lives. It would stop being a metaphor if that magic penny found its way into my justgiving account before tomorrow morning - love would actually have increased in the world. This post did not start off intending to be a request for money but I just don't see why it shouldn't end as one. Freedom is the key to fullness of life, which is what I keep banging on about. I think giving away love would bring freedom to both you and thousands of others... how can I deprive anyone of that opportunity?

No comments: